A slice of cake a day keeps the blues all well away


My son has the most accurate palate I have ever come across. He takes one bite and is able to report back each and every seasoning, spice or herb I have used in a dish. I am not that lucky, my palate is dreadful. In fact, if ever I came across Masterchef Australia as a contestant, I would be eliminated on the taste test. My palate sucks, I can say if something is to my liking or not, and I also have certain seasonings I am more particular to and recognize immediately - such as rosemary - but mostly I just gobble and say yum. During my pregnancy I even lost all sense of taste for a while there, the whole second trimester and most of the last one. But not my boy. So when I used a small amount of milk lightly infused with lavender on this cake, I thought no one would notice it.


Well, the kid knew straight away.He took one bite and said "Oh mum, you've made lavender cake, it's very nice.". I was flabbergasted. You see, I was most certain my husband would not enjoy the taste of the lavender if it was too noticeable, so I did go for a very light infusion, to give it just a hint of. So when the boy said it was a Lavender cake straight away, I just assumed I had used too much of it. No such thing, hubby was quite unaware of my use of flowery scents in a simple cake, and it did go down very well. Also, it made it even more noticeable to me how that boy of mine has a blessed palate and how I wish I had one too! Still, having a light snack of cake and cold milk is one of my favourite summertime treats, and that hasn't changed, nor do I think it will...


Comments

  1. mulher, tu és de um dinamismo impressionante na cozinha! receita, já!

    ReplyDelete
  2. por falar em blues, hoje comi-o todinho! está mesmo apetitoso!

    kisses babe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incredible! This blog looks exactly like my old one!
    It's on a entirely different topic but it has pretty much
    the same layout and design. Superb choice of colors!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment